The NBC EMERGING DIRECTOR PROGRAM is designed to take directors accomplished in their respective fields (features, commercials, music videos) and give them the opportunity to work alongside episodic television directors. The selected directors will foster relationships and fine tune their art to fit the episodic television format.
Built from a desire to open up the pool of directors with whom NBCU works, the program (in tandem with FEMALE FORWARD) will accept submissions from Nov 1, 2018 – Nov 9, 2018.
The chosen director will shadow for up to two episodes on an NBCU show, from prep to post production. NBCU will provide a flat weekly stipend, along with airfare and hotel accommodation for non-locals during the program. Directors placed on NBC shows will be guaranteed an episode to direct on that show within the same season.
Please note, to be eligible, directors must have directed no more than ONE episode of scripted television.
Finalists will be notified by June 2019.
Female directors can apply to our Female Forward program (https://nbcfemaleforward.com/) using the same application link.
APPLY HERE: https://nbcunitips.submittable.com/submit
What’s the Process?
- Submission of Portfolio Materials
Nominees are required to submit:
- One letter of nomination from an advocate of the director who is not a talent representative. Letters of nomination will not be accepted from anyone who works for or with talent, specifically managers, agents, publicists and lawyers.
- A resume/CV
- A bio
- A directing reel
- 1-3 samples representing the director’s best work (features, short films, music videos, etc.–completed works preferred)
- OPTIONAL: one additional letter of recommendation
- Selection of Program Finalists
The selected finalist directors will be contacted and interviewed by the end of May 2019.
- Selection of Directors
The selected director’s portfolios will be sent to participating NBCUniversal shows. Each show then selects which director they would like to take on to shadow for up to two episodes on the show, from pre to post-production before directing an episode.
FAQ – Female Forward and Emerging Director Program (EDP) application window
To apply for Female Forward/EDP, does someone need to nominate me?
- You will fill out your own application for Female Forward/EDP that must include a letter of nomination. This letter comes from someone you’ve worked with creatively in the industry (not an agent/manager) who can speak to your abilities.
Is this Nov 1 application for Female Forward/EDP limited to a certain number of applicants?
- No, these programs will be open from Nov. 1 – Nov 9. We will accept any submissions that come through in that time-frame.