Writers on the Verge is a 12-week program focused on polishing writers and readying them for a staff writer position on a television series. We are looking for writers who are “almost there” but need that final bit of preparation with their writing and personal presentation skills. We particularly encourage writers of diverse backgrounds to apply.
The program will consist of two night classes, which will typically be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays (7-10pm), weekly at NBCUniversal in Universal City, CA. Once accepted, students must attend all classes and turn in all written assignments.
Classes concentrate on creating exceptional material to enhance their portfolio, and understanding the dynamics of pitching oneself in the television industry. Writers are given the chance to interact with industry players ranging from network executives to show runners to agents and receive valuable feedback on their work and pitch style. Writing assignments on a NBCUniversal television show may be available after successful completion of the program but are not a guarantee. Past participants have gone on to series including “The Blacklist,” “Marlon,” “Community”, “Burn Notice”, “Brooklyn Nine-Nine”, “White Collar”, “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”, “Chicago Fire” and “Parenthood.”
How to Submit
The submission window is open MAY 1st, 2017 – MAY 31st, 2017 at 11:59pm PT.
- We do not accept email or mail submissions. You must complete the online application before the deadline.
- We will accept submissions from individual writers and from writing teams of two. We will not accept writing teams of more than two.
- Submitted specs must be written for a show on our Accepted Shows List. We do not accept all shows. Please ensure that your spec is included on our list.
- Finalists may be asked for a second writing sample.
- Applicants must be able to provide their own housing and transportation in the Los Angeles area for the duration of the program.
The submission form will be available here on MAY 1st.
Check out our FAQ for more information.
Additional questions (NOT APPLICATIONS) should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org