Writers on the Verge is a 12-week program focused on polishing writers and readying them for a staff writer position on a television series. We are looking for writers who are “almost there” but need that final bit of preparation with their writing and personal presentation skills. We particularly encourage writers of diverse backgrounds to apply.
The program will consist of two night classes, which will typically be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays (7-10pm), weekly at NBCUniversal in Universal City, CA. Once accepted, students must attend all classes and turn in all written assignments.
Classes concentrate on creating an exceptional spec & pilot script and understanding the dynamics of pitching oneself in the television industry. Writers are given the chance to interact with industry players ranging from network executives to show runners to agents and receive valuable feedback on their work and pitch style. Writing assignments on a NBCUniversal television show may be available after successful completion of the program but are not a guarantee. Past participants have gone on to series including “Community”, “Burn Notice”, “Brooklyn Nine-Nine”, “White Collar”, “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”, “Chicago Fire” and “Parenthood.”
How to Submit
The submission window is open MAY 1st, 2016 – MAY 31st, 2016 at 11:59pm PT.
The link to submit your 2016 WOTV application is HERE. It will go live on May 1st.
- We do not accept email or mail submissions. You must complete the online application before the deadline.
- We will accept submissions from individual writers and from writing teams of two. We will not accept writing teams of more than two.
- Applicants must be able to provide their own housing and transportation in the Los Angeles area for the duration of the program.
On the online submission form, you will be asked to provide the following:
- One properly formatted television spec screenplay based on any scripted show of standard length (half hour or one hour) that aired new episodes during the 2014-2015, or 2015-2016 season. We do accept specs of shows on streaming platforms (Amazon, Netflix, Hulu). This script must be submitted as a PDF file.
- A signed release form for your submitted script.
- Answers to three short essay questions.
- Your current resume/CV.
You must then complete the WOTV online application during the submission window.
For FAQ, click here. Additional questions (NOT APPLICATIONS) should be submitted to email@example.com