NOTE: This year, Writers on the Verge will be accepting 2 original television pilots. We will not accept spec scripts. More details below.
Writers on the Verge is a program focused on polishing writers and readying them for a staff writer position on a television series. We are looking for writers who are “almost there” but need that final bit of preparation with their writing and personal presentation skills. We particularly encourage writers of diverse backgrounds to apply.
The program will consist of weekly evening classes at NBCUniversal in Universal City, CA. Once accepted, students must attend all classes and turn in all written assignments.
Classes concentrate on creating exceptional material to enhance their po rtfolio, and understanding the dynamics of pitching oneself in the television industry. Writers are given the chance to interact with industry players ranging from network executives to show runners to agents and receive valuable feedback on their work and pitch style. Writing assignments on a NBCUniversal television show may be available after successful completion of the program but are not a guarantee. Past participants have gone on to series including “The Blacklist,” “Indebted,” “Community”, “Council of Dads”, “Brooklyn Nine-Nine”, “Lincoln Rhyme: Hunt for the Bone Collector”, “Chicago Fire” and “Parenthood.”
How to Submit
The submission window is open MAY 1,2020- MAY 10, 2020
APPLY HERE: Apply Here
SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS – please read thoroughly:
- We do not accept email or mail submissions. You must complete the online application before the deadline. Please complete all sections of the application. Only ONE APPLICATION per writer or writing team will be accepted.
- We will accept submissions from individual writers and from writing teams of two. We will not accept writing teams of more than two.
- This year, we are asking for two original scripts, both submitted when applying.
- Both scripts must be live-action tv pilots
- Both scripts must be in the same genre as each other. Both must either be ½ hour comedies or hour-long dramas.
- Include a title page with no name(s) of the writer or writing team. Do NOT include the writer’s or writing team’s name or contact information on any page of the script.
Please title your file names appropriately for upload, and only upload files as .PDF
Resume: RESUME – FIRST NAME LAST NAME.pdf
- Example: RESUME – JIMMY FALLON.pdf
Legal release form: LEGAL RELEASE – FIRST NAME LAST NAME.pdf
- Example: LEGAL RELEASE – JIMMY FALLON.pdf
Script submission: SHOW NAME – FIRST INITIAL LAST INITIAL.pdf (If you have a writing partner, include their initials in the file name.)
- Example: GAME OF THRONES – JF.pdf
- Example with writing partner: THIS IS US – JF and SM.pdf
- Resume: RESUME – FIRST NAME LAST NAME.pdf
- We will not be requesting any further material after your initial application
- Applicants must be able to provide their own housing and transportation in the Los Angeles area for the duration of the program.